The history of the property can be traced back as far as 1174. Throughout the years, ownership of the property passed through many hands. During World War II German forces occupied the facilities, and after the liberation of Belgium, it became a school for Jewish young men.
The roots of Continental Theological Seminary are traced back to 1959 and to the establishment of Emmanuel Bible Institute in Andrimont, Belgium. Victor G. Greisen, Field Secretary for Europe, the Middle East, and Southern Asia of the Division of Foreign Missions of the Assemblies of God (USA) was the leading force in its founding. The Chateau des Croisiers in Andrimont was purchased to serve as the first college facility. In 1962 Pastor Alfred Amitié of Belgium became the director, a position he held until the end of the 1968 school year.
In 1969, under the leadership of Greisen's successor Charles E. Greenaway, a decision was made to establish a regional theological school in Brussels that would serve EurAsia and the Middle East. The English-language program was added and a new school emerged, taking the name of Continental Bible College. Facilities were purchased in the commune of Sint-Genesius-Rode and the school began operations. In 1970 the original two-year course of study was expanded to a four-year degree program and, after some time, it became apparent that the existing facilities were inadequate to meet the needs of the growing college.
In 1977 the college purchased a historic chateau (Rattendaal castle) beautifully situated in Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, near Brussels. After many months of extensive renovation, classes started on the new campus in the fall of 1978. In 1985 a new chapel and classroom building was completed. In 1990 a new dormitory/apartment complex was constructed to better serve the housing needs of an expanding student body.
Finally in 1991, in order to accommodate the addition of a Graduate Studies Program, Continental Bible College was renamed Continental Theological Seminary.
The buildings of the seminary are situated in a park-like setting beside a small lake surrounded by trees, making it an ideal place for study, prayer, and meditation. A master plan has been prepared for future development that will include the construction of living areas for students, a new dining hall, and a library building to house the expanding collection of books numbering more than 45,000.
Celebrating 55 Years (1959-2014)
Continental Theological Seminary celebrates 55 years of ‘changing lives to change the world’ with a special anniversary book entitled: ‘The Dream: Positioned to Train and Equip Another Generation.”
In the book, we interview board members and other leaders, former presidents, faculty, alumni and students, asking each one what their dream is for CTS.